Saturday, June 16, 2012
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Fort Mill was established in 1873. The name comes from a British fort and grist mill on nearby Steele Creek. The Catawba Indians lived in the area for many years.
The town of Fort Mill was the site of the last Confederate Government Cabinet meeting (1865). The last meeting of the full Confederate Cabinet was held at the White Homestead in Fort Mill. Fort Mill's Confederate Park contains the nation's only monument to slaves fighting on the Confederate side of the American Civil War.
Fort Mill is also known for its peach orchards and the Anne Springs Close Greenway. The Greenway is an extensive protected natural area consisting of approximately 2,300 acres of lakes, forests, and pastures that provide trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding.