The Alamo is an 18th century mission church located in San Antonio, Texas. The church was built by Spanish Franciscan friars in order to convert the local Indians to Christianity.
The Alamo was the site of a pivotal battle for Texas independence from Mexico. In 1836, Col. William B. Travis, James Bowie, Davy Crockett,
and almost 200 other Texan volunteers occupied the Alamo. After
unsuccessfully defending the Alamo for 13 days against an army of
thousands of Mexican soldiers led by General Antonio López de Santa
Anna, the Texans died on March 6, 1836.
The Alamo was severely damaged in the
Battle of the Alamo in 1836. The ruins were rebuilt by the U.S. Army in
1850. The building was bought by the state of Texas in 1905. The
Alamo was later given to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, who
maintain the Alamo as a public monument and a shrine to the heroes of
the Battle of the Alamo.