Saturday, June 9, 2012

North Dakota - International Peace Gardens

International Peace Gardens
Devoted to World Peace, along the world’s longest unfortified border, lies a 2,339 acre Botanical Garden.
Dedication of the International Peace Garden took place on July 14, 1932, with some 50,000 persons present.  A cairn, build of stones gathered from North Dakota and Manitoba was the only boundary maker inscribed on the cairn are these words
we two nations
dedicate this garden
and pledge ourselves
that as long as men
shall live, we will
not take up arms
against one another.

On either side of the cairn two flag poles, flutter with the Stars and Stripes and the Union Jack. In 1945, the Union Jack was replaced by the Red Ensign. Twenty years later, on February 15, 1965, the present Maple Leaf flag was adopted, and has flown from the flagstaff since that date.

No comments:

Post a Comment